Lots to talk about

Hey everyone,

I didn’t think I’d be posting this much so soon, but I’ve got so much on my mind I’ve just got to get it down in print.  I must admit, this whole blog-thing is very cathartic.  I didn’t realize it at first, but a dog like me has quite a bit to say and having a rather captive audience makes it even easier to express myself.  I’m going to try not to make these posts too long, and boring.  I know we all lead very busy lives and not everyone has time to sit and read the mussing of a dog.  However, I do hope you have a little fun and perhaps laugh a little at what I have to say.  After all, I am a dog, and we tend to do (and say) some silly things every now and then.

Well, the past week has been full of activity.  I went to see the cardiologist for an ultrasound of my heart to see what, if anything, may be going on in that area.  We needed to be sure my cancer had not traveled to my heart, yet.  The cardiologist is in the same office and my oncologist, which is nice so we don’t have to travel to different places for my treatments and exams. 

I had my grooming appointment at my Animal Hospital.  They gave me a nice bath and trimmed my nails.  I got a really good brushing as well.  I like to look, and smell, my best.  I actually enjoy visiting my Vet’s office, most of the time.  That’s where I have my laser treatments for my knees and hips.  Mom keeps up on those, every other week, so I’m still able to run around and play, both outside and inside the house.

I’ve taken to playing inside with one of my blankets.  That’s the photo you see at the top.  Mom throws it over me, covering my head and then I start to twist and turn and toss my head.  I grab that blanket and shake it, over and over again.  We play tug of war with it sometimes but mom is careful that I don’t rip it.  Sometimes, when she puts it over my head I just stand there, perfectly still.  I’m waiting for her to reach out and touch me.  When she does I go into full-on play mode.  We toss, turn, and wrestle on the living room floor.  It’s a lot of fun.  I really love when mom plays with me.  She seems happy during these times too, and I know that it’s just as important for her as it is for me.

My next trip is Tuesday.  I have an appointment with my oncologist.  Mom was instructed to stop my chemo pills this past Thursday as I need what they call a ‘wash-out’ period in preparation for the start of IV chemo treatment.  That is, if my blood work comes back without that MDR marker.  I don’t know what the IV chemo treatment will be like or what the possible side effects may be.  I’m a little scared, but my mom will be with me the whole time so that’s comforting.  I hope she does OK with it too.

It’s a complicated process, navigating this cancer thing.  There’s so much to monitor, so much to treat, and so much to take in and understand.  My mom is really good at that.  She’s started a journal about my health, the cancer, my treatments, and how I’m doing each day.  She keeps copious notes which helps her make the best decisions for me and our future together.


2 thoughts on “Lots to talk about”

    1. Thanks Sarah – I had my first IV chemo today and am feeling pretty good. The oncologist advised if I am going to have any side effects they will occur within 2-5 days. I’m putting together another blog post and will put it up in a couple days.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s